Tuesday, October 11, 2016

CST 300 Week 6

CST 300 Week 6

Part 1

During our team meeting on Sunday we were able to discuss possible capstone ideas. Joel and I were interested in developing a game. Mokhlis had an interesting idea in developing an intelligent tourist system. Ryan is interested in developing an application related to education. Other than game making, I found the intelligent tourist system stood out to me as I would be interested in that as I love to travel and explore new places.

Part 2

I found the career guide to be a good refresher on how to go about entering a career in Computer Science after I graduate. This year my focus is on networking. I hope to attend a developer conference or two to begin networking in the field. I believe I am "professionalized" as I have been working in the banking industry for over 10 years. Banking and professionalism go hand in hand. The job offers section was helping in providing feedback to not accept the first job offer and to also ask for more money.
The key first step in the application process is researching employers. I should make a list of potential employers and research each of those employers individually to gain a clearer understanding of each organization and what they are looking for. Otterjobs is a good first start in finding potential employers. I plan to bookmark this page and visit often during my last year of study. To gain employer contacts I plan to attend game developer conferences and build a network there. As far as an internship, I am not sure as this is a good option for me unless it has a good salary as I am currently making a pretty good salary. If a good opportunity for a paid internship arises, I will definitely pursue it during my last year of study. I have attended job fairs before and found them not to be successful for me. Personally I have found networking and direct contact to be effective in searching for a job.
Our team came together on Sunday to pick topics for our final presentation projects. We chose as topics: intelligent tourist systems, unity game engine, and programming in education. Next week our peers will vote on which topic for us to work on.
The readings on Python was a good refresher as I hadn't worked with it since December of the previous year.
It felt good to update my resume for my "dream job" as it felt attaining it more tangible.

No comments:

Post a Comment